West Virginia Newspaper Publishing Company traces its history back to March 12, 1864, when The Morgantown Weekly Post was founded, and to April 11, 1876, when The New Dominion began the county’s first daily paper on September 7, 1897. The Morgantown Evening Post was established as a daily on December 8, 1899.
The owners of The New Dominion chose the name to reflect their conclusion that, since Virginia was the Old Dominion, West Virginia should be the New Dominion.
In 1924, The New Dominion consolidated its operations in a new building at the corner of Chestnut and Kirk streets, sharing quarters with Morgantown Printing and Binding Company. In 1930, The New Dominion became The Dominion News and was published Tuesday through Saturday until it was merged in 1973 with The Morgantown Post, which was an afternoon paper. The Dominion Post shifted to a morning paper in 1979.
Early in the 1900’s, The New Dominion and The Morgantown Post formed a third company, West Virginia Newspaper Publishing Company, which held title to the mechanical plant. The papers shared the printing plant, but kept separate editorial offices until the move to its present location in 1968.
In 1923, Col. H. C. Greer became owner and publisher of The Morgantown Post. He constructed a new building on Elk Street, just off Spruce Street, for a new printing plant and editorial office for the Post. Col. Greer, one of Morgantown’s best-known businessmen, died August 5, 1948. His wife, Agnes H. Reeves Greer, recognized locally and nationally for her business skills, continued to operate the businesses, including newspapers, radio, steel, and limestone until her death on October 21, 1972.
West Virginia Newspaper Publishing Company remains a family owned business today operated by grandsons: Richard, John and David.